#23 Things Digital - Thing 4 - Digital Footprint

I have just Googled myself and not one piece of information is stored about me, I’m old school in the sense of posting pictures of myself (I’m not in the age of the selfie), I don’t post things on Facebook that I wouldn’t like others to see and do not comment and discriminate against others.  Once it’s posted its out there and I have always known that - you can’t take it back - so think before you post.

I personally know people that have not been successful when applying for a job because the company has searched Facebook and found not very flattering pictures, comments or rants that they have posted.

In my current place of work we have a Social Media Policy that all new employees must read and sign and adhere to, we have parted company with a few members of staff due to them posting comments or emojis about me personally using 4 letter words or symbols because they were not happy about being told something or having a disciplinary.  We ask that no-one lists where they work on Facebook or if they do they cannot mention what a bad day at work they have had or individually slate someone and refer to actual residents following GDPR.

Posting online comments that you would not say to someone in reality is a form of bullying and is really the lowest of the low - these people should remember that these comments/posts will be there forever and that they could damage someone for the rest of their life.  

We live in a country of freedom of speech which is great but you must always remember that it is only your opinion or view and that there are still boundaries on social media sites - don’t abuse these platforms as they are a life line for everyone at the moment.

Remember the old saying “if you can’t say anything nice - don’t say anything at all”.  We need more people to celebrate the strengths and achievements of others rather than knock them or bring them down - there are too many people who judge others by their appearance and are so focused on selfies and not the person inside.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#SSSC 23 Things Digital - Badge 3 - Why Digital?

The Magic of the Digital Age